Tuesday, June 16, 2009

First week in El Salvador!

So I made it to El Salvador! This is such a beautiful country and the people have been so nice! Right now there are 10 of us and we are living in a pretty nice house. Our neighborhood is has guards with big guns which you get used to seeing pretty quick because you see security guards with guns everywhere. I forgot my camera cords so as soon as I can get a card reader I will add pictures :(
The first full day I went out and did eye exams with a nonprofit here called Fudem. It was a lot of fun to see all the people in the little community we went to.

Every Friday we go volunteer so that is what we did the second day I was here. Building houses is a lot of work and the heat does not help either. But it will be a good experience. After that we went and taught English at the LDS office building. We do that every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Since I do not speak Spanish I am teaching the advanced class so that will be fun!
This weekend we went to an YSA dance on Friday night which was a lot of fun. These Latin people sure can dance! Everyone really likes to try to talk to us and get to know us so we are making a lot of friends! The next morning we went to the beach! We stayed in a beach house owned by a lady in our ward so that was nice to have the whole day to relax. The waves there were so strong! Of course I was the first to run in and I was quickly swept of my feet into the water! I got sand everywhere! We still were able to do some boogie boarding despite how crazy the waves were! That night we had a fire on the beach and made smores! So perfect!
Sunday we went from the beach to church. Then we were invited to dinner (which I found out that we are pretty popular so that happens quite a bit!).



On monday we went to a couple of orphanages which was been great! The first one was Hogar Providencia which is a boy’s home. We are teaching them English and they were so great! They are so cute and such good boys!

The other home is CIPI which is a girl’s home and most of the girls have been sexually abused so that is sad :( I am actually trying to put together a workout class for them and that will be my project that I will be in charge of a couple times a week!
Today we went with Fudem and handed out flyers at schools so the kids know they can get their eyes checked. So far it has been really fun and a good experience. I will try to post pictures asap so everything will come together and you can really see what I am doing!

2 comments:

kai and steph said...

I am glad you got there safe and are having fun. Can't wait to see pics! Oh and still no baby :(

Erin said...

That is awesome Sierra!! I'm so excited that you are getting this once in a lifetime experience. I know that sometimes seeing the poverty day after day can be discouraging, so if you need a little pick me up or pep talk, let me know! You are amazing and what you're doing is SUCH a benefit to others. I look up to you for it. Love ya lots!!!